Friday, April 10, 2009

He is Risen. Same Old, Same Old?

Good Friday, good day. Much better than last year. It’s not snowing, the sun’s out and I’m not driving home from divorce court.

But Good Friday -- what do we do with that? Good Catholics will go to church on Sunday. I’m planning on taking my son to a church near downtown that has the best choir in the city. We may even go to church tonight.

Are we supposed to be solemn today, or should we rejoice? For those who believe, our sins are forgiven. Hooray, "our sins are forgiven". Words heard often in church. This weekend, let’s boil some eggs and color them, have some ham and mustard, don’t forget that little butter lamb. And drink a whole lot of wine on Sunday. Saturday, too. Make it red.

My nose hit the rug this morning, not from wine. It is like turning on a phone line to God. He showed me -- after He gently pushed aside my babble -- the Lord going up, ascending to Heaven with his scars, which he will always bear. But I saw the ones he took for me.

THAT’S the holiday. I am happy and I am sad. But I still rejoice because I still believe, shaken though my faith has been lately. Just let me keep telling people about you, Lord, and let us all tell each other and celebrate the “You” that’s in all of us, provided we’ve taken that step and crossed over the threshold of light as John Paul wrote.

Alleluia! Life is renewed every day, the moment we wake up. Because of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment